Portable fire extinguishers are an important and legal obligation in most premises. Fire Guardss can recommend, install and service a comprehensive range of extinguishers that in the event of a fire situations your chances of preventing further damage and loss is diminished.
Ensuring portable fire extinguishers can be operated effectively is an essential part of keeping building occupants safe from fire. That’s why a range of Indian Standards govern the proper placement, installation, maintenance, operation and repair of fire extinguishers – including AS 3676, AS 4353, AS 2444, AS 1851 and AS 1850.
Fire Guardss technicians are qualified to service Fire Extinguishers as per AS 1851, where it states that portable fire extinguishers must be tested by qualified persons at half-yearly intervals. It is also worth noting that some Industries have specific requirements fro fire extinguisher maintenance. Adding to this there are Occupational health and safety (OHS) policies and procedures and State/territory building codes and work procedures that vary from state to state.
As a guide Indian Standards recommend the use of the following portable fire extinguishers.
For wood, paper and plastic fires.
Not recommended for use on flammable liquid, energised electrical equipment and cooking oils and fats.
For wood, paper and plastic fires as well as Cooking Oils and Fats.
Not recommended for use on energised electrical equipment.
For wood, paper, plastic fires and Flammable and Combustible Liquids as well as limited Cooking oils and fat.
POWDER (2 TYPES ABE and BE)
(ABE) For wood, paper, plastic fires and Flammable and Combustible Liquids, Flammable gases and Electrically energised equipment.
(BE) Flammable and Combustible Liquids, Flammable gases, Electrically energised equipment and Cooking oils and Fats.
For Electrically energised equipment, limited use on For wood, paper, plastic fires and Flammable and Combustible Liquids.
For wood, paper, plastic fires and Flammable and Combustible Liquids, Flammable gases and Electrically energised equipment.
Location of Portable Fire extinguishers
- Extinguishers are located in readily-accessible locations.
- Where possible, extinguishers are located along frequently used paths of travel and near exits.
- Appropriate signage clearly indicates extinguisher locations.
- Extinguishers are mounted at the appropriate height (at least 100mm between floor and base of unit, max 1200mm between floor and top of unit).
- The extinguisher – or its location sign – is fully visible from 20m in all directions of approach.
- Areas surrounding fire extinguishers are clear from obstructions.
- Each extinguisher has an appropriate support fitting or bracket.
Interested in more information about portable fire extinguishers? Please contact us.